- The Guardian's 10 Best Albums incl. Sturgill, Tami Neilson, Jason Eady
- Hear Unreleased Joe Ely and Linda Ronstadt duet "Where Is My Love"
- If You Missed It: Willie Nelson and Billy Joe Shaver on Letterman
- 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
- Titles from Willie, Hank Williams, Bob Wills Headed to Grammy Hall of Fame
- Hear New Joe Pug Song "If Still It Can Be Found"
- Houston Press: Is Country Music Ready For Sturgill Simpson?
- Blitzen Trapper Releases Free Live Album
- Eric Church's "The Outsiders" Goes Platinum
- Fatal South by Southwest Crash Brings First Wave of Lawsuits
- New Song from Cody Canada and the Departed "Easy"
- Flaco Jimenez to receive Lifetime Grammy Award
- Country Weekly's Top 10 Albums Incl. Sturgill, Old Crow, Billy Joe Shaver
- Nashville Scene Rips Into American Country Countdown Awards
- Ardent Studios Founder John Fry Dies at 69
- Windowing New Music May Not Goose Sales, Study Shows
- Engineer and Producer John Hampton Dies
- Famous Nashville Backup Singer Millie Kirkham Dies at 91
- Proof How Much The Music Industry Has Changed In The Last Ten Years
- NY Times' Jon Caramanica's Top 10 Albums Includes Sturgill Simpson
- Galleywinter's Favorites of 2014
Legendary country music songwriter Billy Don Burns, who over his 40 year career has written songs for Willie Nelson, Connie Smith, Sammy Kershaw, and many others has partnered up with Rusty Knuckles Records and will be releasing a new album this summer, Nights When I’m Sober (The Portrait of a Honky Tonk Singer), tentatively set for a July 10th release.
“This kid from South Carolina, Aaron Rodgers, ran me down and told me he was a big fan and wanted to produce a new CD on me.” Billy recently told Outlaw Magazine. “We did that and I am proud of it and I think it is one of my best ones.”
Rusty Knuckles, the home of acts like Hellbound Glory, Jay Berndt, and Ronnie Hymes found it hard to say no when a call from Billy Don came in. “What happens when you get a phone call by an underground legend whose songs have been recorded by individuals such as Willie Nelson and produced albums by Merle Haggard, Tanya Tucker and Johnny Paycheck? Here is what we did, we asked Billy Don Burns to join the team and allow us to release his next album.”
Billy Don Burns produced both a gospel album and a live album for Johnny Paycheck in the late 80′s, both that remain unreleased in one of the many story lines where Billy Don is rubbing elbows with big names and on the right side of real music.
In March, as Hellbound Glory was touring through North Carolina, Rusty Knuckles assembled their version of the Million Dollar Quartet, calling up Billy Don and Ronnie Hymes for a Barn Party Jam Session in Raleigh. Rumor has it some video was taken from the session that will be released in the future.
Stay tuned for more info on Nights When I’m Sober.
13 Comments to “Billy Don Burns to Release “Nights When I’m Sober””
Leave a comment
Support SCM and start
your Amazon shopping here
- Kevin Tarlton on Saving Country Music’s Best Videos of 2014
- Summer Jam on Saving Country Music’s Best Videos of 2014
- Applejack on Saving Country Music’s Best Videos of 2014
- CountryMusicFan on Saving Country Music’s Best Videos of 2014
- kyle s on Mo Pitney Reveals Great Promise with “Country” Single