- The Darrell Brothers Offer a Dramatic Reading of Luke Bryan
- Engine 145: Ronnie Milsap Looks Back on New Album
- Music festivals see big opportunity in country music
- 'True Detective' music: 10 other great songs by the Handsome Family
- Tim Wilson, comedian and country artist, dies of heart attack
- Johnny Cash Museum reflects legend's charm
- Amazon Reportedly Considering Music Streaming Service
- Oklahoma Gazette Features Hellbound Glory
- New York Times: Trying to Save Merle Haggard's Boxcar Home
- Jesse McReynolds Celebrates 50 Years As Grand Ole Opry Member
- How Thirty Tigers Is Beating Competition with Only a 30 Percent Cut
- Roger Alan Wade Bears His Soul
- Doobie Brothers Making a Country Album
- Clinch Mountain Boy Celebrates 20 Years with Ralph Stanley
- "Push and Shove" Video from My Graveyard Jaw
- Get an exclusive first look at Jolie Holland's new record, "Wine Dark Sea"
- Live review: Lucinda Williams remains unmatched at Echoplex
- Country's Super Sized Stars Downsize for European Success
- Bobby Bare Jr.'s Swaggering 'North of Alabama by Mornin''
- Interview with Rachael Price of Lake Street Dive
- Stream New Drive By Truckers Album "English Oceans"
Texas country music legend Billy Joe Shaver will receive a lifetime achievement award nicknamed the ‘Rusty’ on November 17th. The award is named for another Texas music legend, Rusty Wier, and is being bestowed by Love & War in Texas.
Scheduled to appear and perform at the ceremony are some more Texas legends, including legendary member of the Lost Gonzo Band and the man who penned the original Austin City Limits theme “London Homesick Blues” Gary P. Nunn. Add Tommy Alverson, Mark David Manders, and the Tejas Brothers to the lineup as well. It is also tradition for the performers to ‘roast’ the honoree.
The first Love & War Lifetime Achievement Award was given to Rusty Wier on Nov. 23rd 2007 in an event that also was a benefit for Weir who was battling Caner at the time (read about the event). Over $10,000 was raised to help with Rusty’s medical expenses. Wier died last year, but not before bestowing the second award to his good friend Tommy Alverson. The third recipient of the ‘Rusty’ was Gary P. Nunn.
Love & War in Texas is a music venue and restaurant created by Tye Phelps and Travis Shull to help preserve and promote Texas heritage. Phelps says the Love and War Lifetime Achievement Award was created to honor a prominent Texan every year, for anyone who spends their life time contributing positively to Texas. The event will be held at the Plano, TX location. There’s a Love & War in Grapevine, TX as well.
At the moment Billy Joe Shaver is not scheduled to perform. He is currently undergoing intense physical therapy to rehab an ailing shoulder.
9 Comments to “Billy Joe Shaver to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award”
Leave a comment
- Trigger on Melody Williamson’s Studio Version of “There’s No Country Here”
- Diesel on Cole Swindell’s Horrifically Generic “Chillin’ It” (A Rant)
- Sarah on Melody Williamson’s Studio Version of “There’s No Country Here”
- linda donahue on 2014 Country Music Hall of Fame Picks & Prognostications
- JLR on Cole Swindell’s Horrifically Generic “Chillin’ It” (A Rant)