- If You Missed It: First Aid Kit on Fallon
- Good News: Motley Crue Country Tribute Album Delayed
- Amazon Launches Prime Music Streaming Service
- 1927 Bristol Sessions revisited by Dolly Parton, Marty Stuart, Steve Martin and more
- Web Exclusive of Kacey Musgraves on Fallon
- NPR's KCRW Releases In Studio First Aid Kit Performance
- Kelley Mickwee of The Trishas New Song, New Album Coming
- National Geographic Features Pictures from New Photo Exhibit
- 'Ghost Brothers' tour lives again, in new markets
- New Country Awards Show Replacing Old One on FOX
- Video premiere: Dex Romweber Duo's 'Roll On'
- Justin Townes Earle to Release New Album 'Single Mothers' Sept. 9th (updated)
- Bluegrass Legend Ralph Stanley: 'Iím Just As Fresh As I Was 100 Years Ago'
- Miranda Lambert Hits No. 1 with "Platinum" Album
- House Panel To Hear Testimony On Media Ownership Rules Today
- Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers Bring Taste of California to Nashville
- Video Premiere for Otis Gibbs "Ghosts Of Our Fathers"
- Big Machine, Cox Media Group Sign Direct Licensing Deal
- Walls St. Journal Features Producer Dave Cobb (Sturgill, Isbell)
- Songwriter Don Devaney Passes
- Song Premiere: Dom Flemons, "San Francisco Baby"
On March 3rd, Merle Haggard was receiving a career achievement award from “Country Radio Broadcasters.” At the ceremony the beautiful and talented Emmylou Harris performed a Haggard tune from 1985 called “Kern River,” which ignited Haggard’s memory and his contempt for the corrupt ways of corporate Nashville, and specifically a feud Haggard had over the song with then CBS Records executive Rick Blackburn back in the day.
Apparently Blackburn hated Haggard’s “Kern River,” and went out of his way to tell Haggard that over and over. Haggard got heated:
“That’s about the third time you’ve told me that.” Haggard said, “It’s more like five times. Well, I’m about five times short of telling you to go to hell.”
Then Haggard continued:
“Who do you think you are? You’re the son-of-a-bitch that sat at that desk over there and fired Johnny Cash. Let it go down in history that you’re the dumbest son-of-a-bitch I’ve ever met.”
Haggard, who is fighting lung cancer and was fighting a bout of pneumonia at the time, had the crowd at the award ceremony rolling.
To read more about this CLICK HERE
2 Comments to “Merle Haggard Receives Award and Gets Rowdy”
Leave a comment
- Strait Country 81 on New Hank Williams “I Saw The Light” Biopic Coming
- Michael Massimino on New Hank Williams “I Saw The Light” Biopic Coming
- Strait Country 81 on Song Review – “The Trailer Song” By Kacey Musgraves
- Rambler on New Hank Williams “I Saw The Light” Biopic Coming
- Ann on Taylor Swift Is Leaving Country. But Will Country Let Her?