- NPR: Lost Album Gives Voice To A Johnny Cash In Recovery
- Stream Nickel Creek's New Album "A Dotted Line"
- Engine 145 Talks with Chuck Mead
- Gregg Allman Misses Live Dates With Bronchitis
- Twitter Shutting Down Its Music App
- If You Missed It: Brandy Clark on Ellen
- Off Camera ACM Awards Announced
- American Songwriter Interviews Scott H. Biram
- "Okie From Muskogee" 45th Anniversary Special 2CD Edition Released
- Spotify Slashes Subscription Prices for College Students
- John Cowan Signs with Compass Records
- Facebook Is Ending the Free Ride For Businesses, Bands, and Brands
- Spin Interviews Miranda Lambert
- If You Missed It: Lake Street Dive on Ellen
- Watch Video of Complete Hellbound Glory Concert
- Jason Eady and Courtney Patton Get Married
- New Nickel Creek Song "21st of May"
- Review and Pictures from George Strait's Farewell Concert in Nashville
- Charlie Daniels Does Dylan on New Album
- Predicting What You Want To Hear: Music And Data Get It On
- Facebook Buys Virtual Reality Company Oculus For 2 Billion
I noticed this for the first time last year, that as the birthday of Hank Williams approached, people were looking at it more than just a bulletin you would pass along on social network sites. It felt like a full blown observance, maybe even a quasi-holiday. And the days leading up to it, there was anticipation.
My favorite country writer Juli Thanki (who recently interviewed Hank biographer Colin Escott) informed me the other day that some call September 17th “Hankstitution Day,” as it is also Consitiution Day. Apparently you celebrate by listening to Hank Williams and exercising your favorite amendment. I’m going to roll with the oft forgotten 3rd Amendment, by inviting some solders to stay at my house, and then when they show up, waive my pocket Constitution at them and lock them out. Or maybe I’ll just form a well regulated militia, haven’t decided yet.
Unfortunately no interesting turn of Hank Williams events colored my life leading up to this day like they did last year, though one long time reader around here Restless in Amsterdam from Holland made the trip all the way to the US to celebrate this day haunting the same places Hank Williams once did, making some Hank Williams memories of her own. Restless, along with a few of us others made some Reinstate Hank videos a while back, and since there’s so much new blood around here, I thought I’d re-gift them to Hank for his birthday. And hell, maybe it will inspire a new batch of videos from people who think Hank Williams should be reinstated to the Grand Ole Opry.
Happy birthday Hank!
18 Comments to “More Than A Hank Williams Birthday”
Leave a comment
Support SCM and start
your Amazon shopping here
- Tom Smith on Johnny Cash Still Has 4 or 5 Albums Worth of Music to Release
- Matt on Johnny Cash Still Has 4 or 5 Albums Worth of Music to Release
- Leather Telecaster on Jerrod Niemann Is No Willie or Waylon (A History Lesson)
- TopJimmy on Jerrod Niemann Is No Willie or Waylon (A History Lesson)
- Wes231 on Jerrod Niemann Is No Willie or Waylon (A History Lesson)