- The Guardian's 10 Best Albums incl. Sturgill, Tami Neilson, Jason Eady
- Hear Unreleased Joe Ely and Linda Ronstadt duet "Where Is My Love"
- If You Missed It: Willie Nelson and Billy Joe Shaver on Letterman
- 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
- Titles from Willie, Hank Williams, Bob Wills Headed to Grammy Hall of Fame
- Hear New Joe Pug Song "If Still It Can Be Found"
- Houston Press: Is Country Music Ready For Sturgill Simpson?
- Blitzen Trapper Releases Free Live Album
- Eric Church's "The Outsiders" Goes Platinum
- Fatal South by Southwest Crash Brings First Wave of Lawsuits
- New Song from Cody Canada and the Departed "Easy"
- New York Times Runs Obituary on Outlaw Lawyer Neil Reshen
- Country Weekly's Top 10 Albums Incl. Sturgill, Old Crow, Billy Joe Shaver
- Nashville Scene Rips Into American Country Countdown Awards
- Ardent Studios Founder John Fry Dies at 69
- Windowing New Music May Not Goose Sales, Study Shows
- Engineer and Producer John Hampton Dies
- Famous Nashville Backup Singer Millie Kirkham Dies at 91
- Proof How Much The Music Industry Has Changed In The Last Ten Years
- NY Times' Jon Caramanica's Top 10 Albums Includes Sturgill Simpson
- New Video for Lee Ann Womack "The Way I'm Livin'"
I noticed this for the first time last year, that as the birthday of Hank Williams approached, people were looking at it more than just a bulletin you would pass along on social network sites. It felt like a full blown observance, maybe even a quasi-holiday. And the days leading up to it, there was anticipation.
My favorite country writer Juli Thanki (who recently interviewed Hank biographer Colin Escott) informed me the other day that some call September 17th “Hankstitution Day,” as it is also Consitiution Day. Apparently you celebrate by listening to Hank Williams and exercising your favorite amendment. I’m going to roll with the oft forgotten 3rd Amendment, by inviting some solders to stay at my house, and then when they show up, waive my pocket Constitution at them and lock them out. Or maybe I’ll just form a well regulated militia, haven’t decided yet.
Unfortunately no interesting turn of Hank Williams events colored my life leading up to this day like they did last year, though one long time reader around here Restless in Amsterdam from Holland made the trip all the way to the US to celebrate this day haunting the same places Hank Williams once did, making some Hank Williams memories of her own. Restless, along with a few of us others made some Reinstate Hank videos a while back, and since there’s so much new blood around here, I thought I’d re-gift them to Hank for his birthday. And hell, maybe it will inspire a new batch of videos from people who think Hank Williams should be reinstated to the Grand Ole Opry.
Happy birthday Hank!
18 Comments to “More Than A Hank Williams Birthday”
Leave a comment
Support SCM and start
your Amazon shopping here