- Gladys Flatt, wife of bluegrass legend Lester Flatt, dies at 98
- ACM's to Be At Dallas Cowboys Stadium Next Year
- CMT to Air a Series of Classic Country Documentaries
- If You Missed It: Lyle Lovett on Conan
- Hear Mary Sarah And Merle Haggard Sing "Fightin' Side Of Me"
- LA Time Features Emmylou Harris and "Wrecking Bal" Reissue
- World's Largest Banjo Public Sculpture "Banjo of the East" Announced
- LA Times Reviews The Mavericks 25th Anniversary Tour
- Watch Gregg Allman Scorch 'Midnight Rider' With Vince Gill, Zac Brown
- New Brook Blanche Song "Fools on the Barstools
- Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith of Dueling Banjos Fame Passes Away
- Leon Russell Shares His Favorite Musical Memories
- Watch Nickel Creek Perform on Fallon
- NPR: Carlene Carter Carries The Heavy Burden Of History Lightly
- Stream Carlene Carter's Album "Carter Girl"
- Dualtone Records succeeds by keeping things simple
- A letter to a young songwriter, from Mary Gauthier
- Yahoo Music Features Della Mae
- 11 mainstream country artists worth listening to
- Listen to New Bobby Bare Jr. Song "Big Time"
- Rolling Stone Reviews Johnny Cash's "Out Among The Stars"
Well it’s Sunday, and I know a lot of you spend your Sunday’s with a brat in one hand and a foam finger over the other, eyes affixed to the boob tube. But here’s a cool story I was just alerted to on the Saving Country Music Message Board, where two of your passions collide head on.
Former All-Pro offensive tackle for the New Orleans Saints Kyle Turley is now trying to start a country music career. And unlike so many others that have “gone country,” it seems like he’s doing it for the right reasons: a passion for the music and not a penchant for a big payday. Apparently he met Hank III down in New Orleans a while back, and that led to hooking up at the AMA Nationals on Loretta Lynn’s Tennessee ranch in August. Turley used Hank III’s “Damn Band” as his own, and Hank III sat in on drums as well. Check it out:
houstonpress.com has a 25 picture slideshow of his show at the Meridian on Tue 2/17 that you can view HERE. Here’s a couple gooduns:
“Read savingcountrymusic.com or I’ll come out there and straight up whip your ass !!!”
And lookey who also joined the band in NOLA:
No, that is not a new roadie, apparently that is Allen Jaeger.
And from last night at Emo’s in Austin:
My plan for the Holidays was to be back home in Texas, but after foul weather and flight cancellations, it looks like I’ll be celebrating the birth of baby Jeebus in the not-so-festive Free Hank III hideout, and hoping the sweet and sour pork in the steam plate at the China Panda is fresh.
Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra
BUT! It does mean that I will get to see Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies in a few days!
And hey, WE GOT HANK III TOUR DATES !!!!
2/15 – New Orleans, LA – House of Blues
2/17 – Houston, TX – Meridian
2/18 – Austin, TX – Emo’s
2/20 – Ft. Worth, TX – Longhorn Saloon
2/21 – Lubbock, TX – Jakes
2/22 – Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater
2/23 – Tempe, AZ – The Marque
2/24 – San Diego, CA – 4th & B
2/26 – Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues
You can always check for dates once they are official under the tour section of hank3.com . And just a note, the venue in Austin was changed to Emo’s from what you might have seen on previous date postings.
The opening band for all the dates is Those Poor Bastards.
And last and certainly least, DON’T WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO:
Merry Xmas Helbillies!
OK people, remember when I wrote in THIS BLOG to not believe any tour info until it is posted on hank3.com or the Official MySpace site? And remember when I told you not to trust gossip websites like blabbermouth.net, who posted TWICE that Hank III would be touring with Down?
Well I hope you listened to me, because I just got official word that HANK III AND DOWN WILL NOT BE TOURING TOGETHER!
Instead Hank III will be headlining his own tour (yippee!) with goth country group Those Poor Bastards opening at least some of the dates. The only date that has been confirmed at this point is 2-15-09 at the House of Blues in New Orleans, but other dates should come available soon. But again, no date is official until you see it on an official Hank III website.
And as always I will try to keep you as up to date as possible and post all official Hank III news here, so subscribing to this blog is a good way to stay up to date.
I thought that touring with Down would’ve garnered Hank III some new fans, but as a greedy, already established fan, I want all the Hank III I can get, and a 25 minute country set and 25 minute Assjack set they would’ve played opening for Down would’ve not helped cure my Hank jones out at all.
So I am a happy little Hellbilly. Merry Xmas to me.
What do you think ??? Sound off.
Support SCM and start
your Amazon shopping here
- Applejack on 49th Annual ACM Awards Complete Preview
- Travis on 49th Annual ACM Awards Complete Preview
- Travis on The People Who Read the New People Country Magazine
- Brian on 49th Annual ACM Awards Complete Preview
- Jack Williams on Tim McGraw’s “Sundown Heaven Town” Has Racist Connotations