All The Songs & Artists Featured on Season 3 of ‘Yellowstone’
The season finale for the Paramount Network’s signature summer series Yellowstone ended in a cliffhanger Sunday night (8-23), and it also ended another successful run for the series in both the ratings department, and in featuring all manner of cool country and roots artists and songs throughout the season.
During Season 3 of the Kevin Costner-led series, music from Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, Tyler Childers, Elle King, Charley Crockett, Sturgill Simpson, Red Shahan, and so many more made it into key moments, often sparking interest in the songs and artists themselves. This was certainly the case when the song “Condemned” by viral star Zach Bryan played during the ending scene of Episode 2. Ryan Bingham also made a re-appearance in Season 3, not just in the soundtrack, but as one of the recurring characters.
The benefit of an appearance on Yellowstone for a band is not just hypothetical. When Whiskey Myers not only had some songs featured during Season 1, but also made a personal appearance during a scene itself, it shot up their sales, and is given credit for one of the reasons why the band is on the rise, including recently hitting #1 on the charts with their latest self-titled album. In lieu of mainstream radio play, shows like Yellowstone can really help spread the word about independent artists.
Yellowstone centers around the famous American National Park and the conflicts that arise between the shared borders of a large cattle ranch, an Indian reservation, land developers, and the park itself. It was created by Taylor Sheridan who is originally from Texas, and made a name developing Sons of Anarchy, as well as the movie Hell or High Water, both of which featured lots of independent and classic country music as well. Sheridan is often given credit for revitalizing the modern Western. Yellowstone‘s music supervisor is Andrea von Foerster.
You can see some of the songs featured in Season 1 of Yellowstone here, and all of the songs in Season 2 of Yellowstone here, and find all of the songs ands the respectives episodes and scenes for Season 3 below:
Episode 1- You’re The Indian Now – 6/21/2020
- Kevin Costner & Modern West – “Dark Thoughts Ride” (scene with Beth and Kayce)
- Cody Jinks – “Mama Song” (At the new barn)
- Honey Country – “Cigarette” (At the liquor store)
- Colter Wall (feat. Belle Plaine) – “Caroline” (By the campfire)
Episode 2 – Freight Trains and Monsters – 6/28/2020
- Blackberry Smoke – “Sleeping Dogs” (Dancing at the ranch)
- The Cadillac Three- “Party Like You” (Horse thieves at the trailer)
- Tyler Childers – “Lady May” (At Yellowstone Rance)
- Zach Bryan – “Condemned” (Ending scene)
Episode 3 – An Acceptable Surrender – 7/5/2020
- Brian Tyler- “Until Tomorrow” (Opening scene)
- Casey Donahew Band – “What Cowboys Do” (at the rodeo arena)
- Whitey Morgan & the 78’s – “Where Do Ya Want It?” (at the rodeo arena)
- Red Shahan – “Revolution” (at the rodeo arena)
- Turnpike Troubadours – “The Mercury” (at the rodeo arena)
- Jon Pardi – “Me and Jack” (at the rodeo arena)
- Whiskey Myers – “Gasoline” (at the rodeo arena)
- Esterly, Kendell Marvell – “Mine” (at the rodeo arena)
Episode 4 – Going Back to Cali – 7/12/2020
- Kevin Costner & Modern West – “We Don’t Run” (In the hospital)
- Bad Flamingo – “Ain’t Too Worried Yet” (In the hospital)
- Sturgill Simpson – “Life of Sin” (Training the horse)
- Bad Flamingo – “Butter” (In the hospital)
- Motorhead – “Dead Men Tell No Tales” (Biker’s Camp)
Episode 5 – Cowboys and Dreamers – 7/19/2020
- Sturgill Simpson – “Long White Line” (At Bunkhouse Party)
- Hayes Carll – “Drunken Poet’s Dream” (Rip storms out of the bunkhouse)
Episode 6 – All For Nothing – 7/26/2020
- Lainey Wilson – “Straight Up Sideways” (Barrel racing)
- Hayes Carll – “KMAG YOYO” (Chasing buffalo)
Episode 7 – The Beating – 8/2/2020
- Charley Crockett – “The Valley” (Bunkhouse in disarray)
- Sturgill Simpson – “Turtles All The Way Down” (In Rip’s truck)
- Tyler Childers – “Born Again” (Rip introduces Jimmy to the rodeo)
Episode 8 – I Killed A Man Today – 8/9/2020
- Gethen Jenkins – “Me, My Bottle And Nothing But Time” ( John Dutton and Tate talking horses)
- Ryan Bingham – “Tell My Mom I Miss Her So” (Walker on stage)
Episode 9 – Meaner Than Evil – 8/16/2020
- Ryan Bingham – “Snake Eyes” (Walker performing in an empty bar)
- Garrett Bradford – “This Way of Life” (Montage scene)
- Modern West – “You Won’t See It Coming” (In the barn)
Episode 10 – The World is Purple – 8/23/2020
- Elle King – “Ain’t Gonna Drown” (Montage scene)
- Brothers Osborne – “Dead Man’s Curve” (Barrel racing)
- Lainey Wilson – “Small Town Girl” (Barrel Racing)
August 24, 2020 @ 10:02 am
I have enjoyed the show and the music although sometimes the music is hard to pick out. Once in a while, the music is front and center like last night with the Elle King song and when Bingham himself plays. Love that the exposure is helping at least some cool artists.
August 24, 2020 @ 10:09 am
That’s one of the reasons I post these lists, so if people hear something and want to find out who or what it is, they have a resource. Sometimes you can Shazam it, but if it’s laid into dialogue or other stuff, it can be tough.
August 24, 2020 @ 2:13 pm
Hahaha quelle surprise, a song from early Motorhead in a biker scene…
August 24, 2020 @ 10:07 am
Great show with great music…so sad Season 3 is ended…..when oh when will we get Season 4?
Martin & Loretta Lidgren
November 7, 2021 @ 5:29 pm
Who sang the song in The World is Purple” with the words g”going down to the water “
August 24, 2020 @ 11:22 am
Just got into Yellowstone and I love shows that play good music that is appropriate for scenes like Yellowstone, The Ranch, and Umbrella Academy. Thanks for putting this together Trig
August 26, 2020 @ 10:21 am
Haven’t yet got into Yellowstone, I’m a Netflix/Hulu subscriber, but that Umbrella Academy is sooo dang good!
August 24, 2020 @ 12:38 pm
Are you go to put out a cd with all the songs from yellowstone?
August 24, 2020 @ 12:52 pm
All the music is good, and the score for Yellowstone is beautifully composed. Nice to give artists a stage on the show.
August 24, 2020 @ 1:21 pm
I seriously did a spit take whenever Guy on a Buffalo was in an episode 😆
August 27, 2020 @ 5:17 am
Maybe some of these great artists (sans Costner’s band of course) could try their hands at script-writing?
Love the scenery. Love the sound track. There are some great characters.
But the dialogue & story structure are worthy of an 11th-grade composition class. SO predictable. SO cliche-laden.
Perfect for Costner’s skill set, in other words.
August 27, 2020 @ 6:33 am
CAN YOU GET A SOUNDTRACK FROM EACH SEASON WILL ALL THE SONGS FROM THAT PARTICULAR SEASON AND IF SO WHERE?????
August 31, 2020 @ 2:47 pm
What about a credit to Jomo and the Possum Posse!?! They wrote and performed Guy on a Buffalo!
December 12, 2020 @ 5:50 pm
I have downloaded some great music from each season! Heaven’s Gate performed by Costner’s daughter is just beautiful.
February 23, 2021 @ 9:21 am
Does anyone know the name of the music that played when they were at summer camp and they were taking down the tents to move them to John’s new location?
September 16, 2021 @ 8:59 am
There’s also a Dale Watson song “Where Do You Want It” in one of the season 3 episodes. It’s during a bull riding scene. But it’s not Dale Watson singing it.