A tribute record to the revolutionary Red Dirt rock country outfit Cross Canadian Ragweed and its frontman Cody Canada is on the way, and it includes a litany of cool artists from Texas and Red Dirt who all paid tribute to the band last winter at the long-running Music Fest in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Called The Years: A MusicFest Tribute to Cody Canada and the Music of Cross Canadian Ragweed, the 17-song album to be released on January 22nd, 2021 includes live recordings from the in-person tribute at the festival on January 7th and 8th, 2020. Cody Canada joined performers such as Billy Joe Shaver, Guy Clark, Robert Earl Keen, and Townes Van Zandt as tribute artists at the fest.
“I never dreamed when I did my first Steamboat tribute that I’d be one someday,” Cody Canada said at the time. “Humbled would be an extreme understatement. I consider myself a very lucky man.”
Randy Rogers, Wade Bowen, Jamie Lin Wilson, William Clark Green, Reckless Kelly, Courtney Patton, Doug Moreland, and Bri Bagwell are just some of the names that appear on the compilation, with Reckless Kelly’s rendition of “Fightin’ For” already available (listen below).
Of course, it’s not as good as a reunification of the real thing (which you shouldn’t expect anytime soon). But with the legacy Cross Canadian Ragweed still enjoys, and the ample amount of fans eager for anything with the band’s name on it, it will be highly anticipated.
Cross Canadian Ragweed formed behind guitarist and singer Cody Canada, and guitarist Grady Cross in 1994. They burned hot until 2010, helping to establish Red Dirt and Texas country as a viable alternative to Nashville. Cody Canada has continued on as a solo artist and with his band The Departed. Canada has hinted he has multiple projects in the offing himself likely to be released in 2021.
The Years is being distributed by Thirty Tigers.
1. “Constantly” – Parker McCollum
2. “Bang My Head” – Copper Chief (featuring Cody Canada)
3. “Don’t Need You” – Read Southall Band
4. “Fightin’ For” – Reckless Kelly
5. “17” – Jamie Lin Wilson (featuring Dierks Canada)
6. “This Time Around” – Randy Rogers
7. “42 Miles” – Casey Donahew
8. “Sick and Tired” – Wade Bowen (featuring Jamie Lin Wilson)
9. “Carney Man” – Mike McClure
10. “Breakdown” – Bruce Robison
11. “Alabama” – Courtney Patton
12. “Johnny’s Song” – William Clark Green
13. “On a Cloud” – Doug Moreland
14. “Run to Me” – Bri Bagwell
15. “Broken” – Stoney LaRue (featuring Cody Canada)
16. “Dead Man” – Jade Marie Patek
17. “The Years” – BJ Barham of American Aquarium