Earlier this year, Willie Nelson celebrated his 90th Birthday with two epic shows at the Hollywood Bowl in California on April 29th and 30th. A massive list of performers was assembled to toast Willie including Billy Strings, Charley Crockett, Dwight Yoakam, Allison Russell, Chris Stapleton, George Strait, Jamey Johnson, Keith Richards, Kris Kristofferson, Miranda Lambert, Snoop Dogg, and Neil Young just to name a few.
Those who were in attendance walked away talking about how epic the two-day event was. Now we’ll all get to experience it as Blackbird Presents and Legacy Recordings is releasing Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live At The Hollywood Bowl as a 2 CD+Blu-Ray set on December 15th. It will include 39 complete audio tracks, three hours of video performances, and a multi-page booklet. A 2 LP vinyl edition will also be available. The set will be available digitally as well.
Some of the more notable selections from the set include George Strait and Willie singing “Pancho & Lefty” together, Willie singing “We Had It All” with Keith Richards, and Allison Russell & Norah Jones singing “Seven Spanish Angels.” Interestingly, Sturgill Simpson made a rare appearance during the event singing “I’d Have To Be Crazy,” but won’t appear on the release.
The live album comes during a busy year for Willie. He released his first ever bluegrass album (entitled Bluegrass) earlier this year. On October 31st, Willie Nelson will be releasing his latest book called Energy Follows Thought: The Stories Behind My Songs telling the stories behind 160 of his favorite songs from his catalog. Then on November 3rd, he will become the latest country artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Also on November 3rd, Legacy Recordings will be releasing a new career-spanning collection called Willie Nelson Greatest Hits with 25 select tracks from throughout his career. This will be the first Greatest Hits collection from Willie that will include more current songs from his catalog as well.
Long Story Short: Willie Nelson 90 Live is now available for pre-order.
1. Whiskey River – Billy Strings
2. Yesterday’s Wine – Charley Crockett
3. Seven Spanish Angels – Allison Russell & Norah Jones
4. Remember Me (When The Candle Lights Are Gleaming) – Edie Brickell & Charlie Sexton
5. Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other – Orville Peck
6. Me And Paul – Dwight Yoakam
7. Die When I’m High (Halfway To Heaven) – Particle Kid & Daniel Lanois
8. Georgia On A Fast Train – Margo Price & Waylon Payne
9. It Ain’t Over Yet- Rodney Crowell, Emmylou Harris, Waylon Payne, Mickey Raphael
10. Hello Walls – Lyle Lovett
11. Hands On The Wheel – Beck
12. Midnight Rider – Warren Haynes
13. Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I’ll Ever Do Again) – Rosanne Cash & Kris Kristofferson
14. Funny How Time Slips Away – Dave Matthews
15. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground – Lukas Nelson
16. City Of New Orleans – Nathaniel Rateliff
17. Stardust – Willie Nelson & Booker T. Jones
18. Will You Remember Mine – Willie Nelson & Lily Meola
19. Something You Get Through – Willie Nelson & Buddy Cannon
1. California Sober – Willie Nelson & Billy Strings
2. Still Is Still Moving To Me – Ziggy Marley
3. Down Yonder – Norah Jones
4. Pick Up The Tempo – The Avett Brothers
5. Pretty Paper – The Lumineers
6. Time Of The Preacher – Tyler Childers and The Food Stamps
7. Night Life – Leon Bridges & Gary Clark Jr.
8. Texas Flood – Gary Clark Jr.
9. Opportunity To Cry – Tom Jones
10. Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain – Bobby Weir
11. Willie Got Me Stoned – Jack Johnson
12. Georgia On My Mind – Jamey Johnson, Warren Haynes, Booker T. Jones
13. Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys – Miranda Lambert
14. Always On My Mind – Chris Stapleton
15. Are There Any More Real Cowboys? – Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Stephen Stills
16. Far Away Places – Willie Nelson & Sheryl Crow
17. Pancho & Lefty – Willie Nelson & George Strait
18. Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die – Willie Nelson & Snoop Dogg
19. We Had It All – Willie Nelson & Keith Richards
20. On The Road Again & Happy Birthday – All Sing