The crush of new releases of cool country and roots music has been pretty incredible over the past couple of weeks, and to help keep you up-to-date, the Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist has been freshly provisioned. You can also find below a supplemental list of all the records you should probably be aware of that were released just on Friday, October 26th. Hopefully reviews of most or all of them will be posted eventually, but in the meantime many of them have songs included in the playlist to give you an introduction.
Kentucky hard country crooner Dillon Carmichael reappears on the list with “Natural Disaster“—a 6-minute tearjerker from his just-released debut album Hell On An Angel. The Bottle Rockets are back, and trying their hand at what they’re calling Outlaw country, and the hilarious and true “Bad Time To Be An Outlaw” is darn near custom made for this playlist.
There have been few artists who have resonated so well, and come so out of nowhere in the last couple of years like Tom Buller. His debut album When a Country Boy Gets The Blues is essential for any true country music fan, and his song “If I Can Make Texas Tonite” gets place in the precious #2 spot of the playlist. Canadian singer and songwriter Belle Plaine has just released a new album called Malice, Mercy, Grief, and Wrath, and has fellow Canadian Colter Wall guesting on the track “Is It Cheating,” which is a great country song.
Lastly William Michael Morgan has released a new track from a yet-named upcoming album called “Brokenhearted,” A complete sea change from another early track he release called “Tonight Girl,” hopefully it’s “Brokenhearted” released as a single, not “Tonight Girl.” Also Whitey Morgan and the 78’s selection on the playlist has been freshened to the song “Around Here” off his brand new album Hard Times and White Lines.
– – – – – – – – –
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist primarily lives on Spotify, but is also available for those who use Google Play, and on Apple Music thanks to Country Exclusive. For those who don’t stream music, you can still find the song recommendations in list form below.
Here’s a list of 14 records released on 10/26 that should be on your radar:
Whitey Morgan, Bad Times and White Lines • Dillon Carmichael, Hell On An Angel • Jamie Lin Wilson, Jumping Over Rocks • Blackberry Smoke, Southern Ground Sessions EP • Carson McHone, Carousel • Nick Dittmeier and the Sawdusters, All Damn Day • John Hatchett Band, Mother Nature Wins Again • Martha Spencer, Self-Titled • Town Mountain, New Freedom Blues • Carter Sampson, Lucky • Kaia Kater, Grenades • Josh Turner, I Serve a Savior • Halden Wofford and the Hi-Beams – Hard Core Broken Heart • Dylan Walshe, All Manner of Ways
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist:
- “JP’s Florida Blues #1” – JP Harris – Sometimes Dogs Bark At Nothing
- “If I Can Make Texas Tonite” – Tom Buller – When A Country Boy Gets the Blues
- “Viki Lynn” – Lauren Morrow – Self-Titled EP
- “Natural Disaster” – Dillon Carmichael – Hell On An Angel
- “Ruby’s Stool” – Loretta Lynn – Wouldn’t It Be Great
- “Around Here” – Whitey Morgan and the 78’s – Hard Times and White Lines
- “Finding Who I Always Should Have Been” – James Steinle – South Texas Homecoming
- “Brokenhearted” – William Michael Morgan – (single)
- “Slow Kill” – Kristina Murray – Southern Ambrosia
- “Down Low” – Town Mountain ft. Tyler Childers – New Freedom Blues
- “Sad” – Carson McHone – Carousel
- “Bad Time To Be An Outlaw” – The Bottle Rockets – Bit Logic
- “Singin’ A New Song” – Joshua Hedley – Broken Man 2-Song Album
- “Better Boat” – Kenny Chesney (ft. Mindy Smith) – Songs for the Saints
- “Come Around” – El Coyote – El Coyote
- “Head Case” – Cody Jinks – Lifers
- “Holy Dirt” – John R. Miller – The Trouble You Follow
- “Is It Cheating” – Belle Plaine w/ Colter Wall – Malice, Mercy, Grief, and Wrath
- “Red And Gold” – The Brother Brothers – Some People I Know
- “Over You” – Sarah Shook and the Disarmers – Years
- “She Don’t Love Me” – Adam Hood (w/ Brent Cobb) – Somewhere In Between
- “Calgary Round-Up” – Colter Wall – Songs of the Plains
- “Other Side” – Folk Soul Revival – Self-Titled
- “Dolly Would You Pardon Me” – Christina Christian – (single)
- “That’s Why They Call It Temptation” – Robbie Fulks, Linda Gail Lewis – Wild! Wild! Wild!