The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist is built to keep you informed on all the best songs and albums coming out right here, right now in country and roots music. It’s available on most all streaming formats (see below), or you can just use the song, artist, and album recommendations to find something new to listen to. New songs have just been added.
Kaitlin Butts – “How Lucky Am I” – Featuring a bold and confident vocal performance from Kaitlin and superb steel guitar, “How Lucky Am I” is enough to get even the heartbroken and socially distanced to crack a smile and tap their toe. Written by Kaitlin herself and produced by Oran Thornton in Nashville at OmniSound Studio, hopefully this song is the next taste of a new record from Kaitlin, who recently revealed she’s been in the studio lately recording. (read more)
Rhiannon Giddens feat. Francesco Turrisi – “Calling Me Home” – “Some people just know how to tap into a tradition and an emotion so deep that it sounds like a song that has always been around,” says Rhiannon Giddens. “Alice Gerrard is one of those rarities. ‘They’re Calling Me Home’ struck me forcefully and deeply the first time I heard it, and every time since. This song just wanted to be sung and so I listened.” The new album They’re Calling Me Home from Giddens is out April 9th. (read more)
Mac Leaphart – “Ballad of Bob Yamaha or a Simple Plea in C Major” – Mac has turned in the best country album of 2021 so far with Music City Joke according to your truly and everyone else who’s listened to it, and even though this is a silly song, it best exemplifies the wry humor you can expect from this excellent songwriter. It may get swapped out with a deeper song in subsequent weeks. But for an introduction, it’s about perfect.
Morgan Wade – “Take Me Away” – Wade has been receiving lots of buzz ahead of her Sadler Vaden-produced album Reckless set to be released on March 19th. She says of the latest pre-release single, “I wrote ‘Take Me Away’ almost two years ago. It’s about being vulnerable and letting someone in. Being able to let down your guard and really let someone love you.”
Dillon Carmichael – “Sawin’ Logs” – Okay, this song is completely adolescent, but still very smartly written, and taps into the often-overlooked country music tradition of innuendo that doesn’t get trodden out nearly enough these days. Country music needs more of this to get over this uptight moment it’s currently in.
The Barlow – “Gallows” – It’s really the amalgam of many of the best music influences out there in independent country at the moment that makes The Barlow’s second record Horseshoe Lounge such an enjoyable listen. The writing is solid throughout Horseshoe Lounge, but perhaps reaches its peak in the classic country crier, “The Gallows.”
– – – – – – – – – –
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist primarily lives on Spotify, but is also available for those who use Amazon Music, YouTube, Apple Music, and Tidal. For those who don’t stream music, you can still find the song recommendations in list form below.
CLICK HERE to follow Saving Country Music on Spotify, and/or follow the Spotify Top 25 Playlist.
Please Note: The songs on this playlist are curated for listening pleasure and flow. Otherwise, they are not in any specific order.
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist:
- “How Lucky Am I” – Kaitlin Butts – (single)
- “If I Didn’t Love You” – Max Flinn – Meant to Be (3-5)
- “Ballad of Bob Yamaha” – Mac Leaphart – Music City Joke
- “Gallows” – The Barlow – Horseshoe Lounge
- “Makin’ Memories” – Melissa Carper – Daddy’s Country Gold (3-19)
- “Hello Good Times” – Conrad Fisher – Homemade
- “Calling Me Home” – Rhiannon Giddens feat. Francesco Turrisi – They’re Calling Me Home (4-9)
- “In Came You” – The Piedmont Boys – Almost Home
- “Fillin’ My Cup” – Hailey Whitters (feat. Little Big Town) – Living The Dream (2-26)
- “Drink To Remember” – Uncle Ben’s Remedy – Easy Ways To Here
- “Ain’t Got The Time” – The Dimestore Cowboys – The Dimestore Cowboys
- “Too Bad You’re No Good” – Alecia Nugent – The Old Side of Town
- “You’re Not in the Picture Anymore” – Craig Gerdes – (single)
- “Nothing Said It All” – Tommy Buller – (single)
- “I Can Help” – Charley Crockett – The Next Waltz Vol. 3
- “Jealous Guy” – Luke Bell – (single)
- “Take Me Away” – Morgan Wade – Reckless (3-19)
- “I’ve Been Around” – Marty Stuart – Johnny Cash: Forever Words Expanded
- “Sawin’ Logs – Dillon Carmichael – (single)
- “Threads” – Ward Davis – Black Cats and Crows
- “Takin’ It As It Comes” – Randall King – (single)
- “Crooked Teeth” – Zach Bryan – Quiet, Heavy Dreams
- “Dying Breed” – The Divorcees – Drop of Blood
- “Will You” – Vivian Leva, Riley Calcagno – Self-Titled (3-12)
- “Somewhere in the Middle (Live)” – Cody Jinks – Red Rocks Live
- “Hernando’s Swang” – Dale Watson – The Memphians (2-26)