As Uncle Ned prepares to blow his hand off with a concoction of semi-illegal fireworks, get yourself prepared for the extended 4th of July weekend by listening to Saving Country Music’s top recommended songs via the official Spotify playlist. A repository for the top recommended songs, albums, and artists at any given time, it’s a good way to make sure you’re not missing out on the best stuff coming down the pike.
Not many are creating more buzz and anticipation for themselves in independent country music at the moment than Tyler Childers, and the first official single release from his upcoming record Purgatory does not disappoint. Only right it would lead off the updated version of the playlist. The salty “Bang Bang” from Canadian Sarah Jane Scouten also enters the list at the top, because hey, what’s a 4th celebration without a little pyrotechnics?
Also added to the list is a couple of wild cards, including Country Side of Harmonica Sam‘s “Tears Don’t Stain.” Harmonica Sam may be from Sweden, but when he’s singing country music, it sounds like he was born Stateside and has sworn allegiance to Uncle Sam. “Fleshy Hands” from the punkish country outfit Skunk Ruckus proves there’s still great music coming out of the underground if you know where to dig.
Also, Chris Stapleton‘s selection on the playlist has been updated to his current radio single “Broken Halos.” Hopefully, unlike his first single “Either Way,” it doesn’t falter on the radio charts, and folks who aren’t choosing to spend their 4th of July weekend soaking in the sweet tones of Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist are exposed to good music.
And if you don’t do the Spotify thing, you can always find a list of the songs, albums, and artists below to venture further in discovering some new music via SCM’s top current recommendations.
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist
- “Whitehouse Road” – Tyler Childers – Purgatory
- “Way Down in My Soul” – Zephaniah Ohora – This Highway
- “16-10” – Joseph Huber – The Suffering Stage
- “Bang Bang” – Sarah Jane Scouten – When The Bloom Falls From The Rose
- “Say It To Me” – Sam Outlaw – Tenderheart
- “Cairo, IL” – Natalie Hemby – Puxico
- “Lint Head Gal” – Phoebe Hunt – Shanti’s Shadow
- “If We Were Vampires” – Jason Isbell – The Nashville Sound
- “Honky Tonks and Taverns” – Lillie Mae – Honky Tonk and Taverns
- “Slow Down Easy” – John Moreland – Big Bad Luv
- “Texas Jesus” – Robyn Ludwick – This Tall to Ride
- “Cairo, IL” – The Brother Brothers – Tugboats – EP
- “Air Mail Special” – Marty Stuart – Way Out West
- “Bottle By My Bed” – Sunny Sweeney – Trophy
- “Time To Give” – Sera Cahoone – From Where I Started
- “Giving Back The Best of Me” – Jaime Wyatt – Felony Blues
- “Tears Don’t Stain” – The Country Side of Harmonica Sam – A Drink After Midnight
- “Old Stone Church” – John Baumann – Proving Grounds
- “Country Music Only” – Larry Peninsula – Country Music Only
- “Kate McCannon” – Colter Wall – Colter Wall
- “Keep The Home Fires Burnin’” – Sarah Shook & The Disarmers – Sidelong
- “Tennessee River Runs Low” – The Secret Sisters – You Don’t Own Me Anymore
- “Fleshy Hands” – Skunk Ruckus – Pearls Before Swine
- “Bottom of a Bottle” – Kayla Luky – Back to Dirt
- “Broken Halos” – Chris Stapleton – From A Room: Vol. 1