Texas music artist Wade Bowen has a new album coming out on August 12th called Somewhere Between The Secret and the Truth, and ahead of the new album, he’s just released a stunner of a slow, singer/songwriter country track called “A Guitar, A Singer, and a Song” featuring country legend Vince Gill. Co-written with Lori McKenna like numerous tracks from the new album, the song finds Wade Bowen reflecting on the impact his music has (hopefully) had over his career.
“The whole point of doing what we do is to not be forgotten, to try to leave a mark on the world with a guitar and with your songs and with your voice,” says Wade Bowen. “We don’t think about it until we get a couple decades into our career: ‘Have I done enough that people will remember me?’ When I brought the idea to Lori, of course she’s the kind of person that was just like, ‘oh yeah, I see what you’re talking about there.’ I’m so thankful for her friendship that helped turned this idea into the right lyrics.”
Adding Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill to the mix just lends to the already strong effort. “Wade is a great artist and this is a great singer, singing a great song,” says Gill. “That never goes out of style. I’m grateful to be a part of it.”
Lori McKenna also joins Wade for a song on the new album called “A Beautiful World” the pair wrote together. Other co-writers on the album that Bowen produced himself include Randy Montana on numerous tracks, Drew Kennedy, Eric Paslay, and Heather Morgan. Wade also released an EP in 2021 called Where Phones Don’t Work. The prolific moment comes after Bowen found himself in a writer’s drought.
“I was trying to find where I fit musically again,” Bowen says. “I’ve been doing this so long that I feel like I got off track from where I felt I fit—I was all over the place with my songwriting and my career. Ironically enough, COVID really gave me a chance to just turn my brain off a little bit and stop thinking. When I came out on the other side, I really found not only a renewed sense of my music and wanting to get out and play again, but I found a renewed sense of self. I found who I wanted to be as a writer, as a singer, as an artist.”
Somewhere Between The Secret and the Truth is now available for pre-order.
- Everything Has Your Memory (Wade Bowen, Eric Paslay, Heather Morgan)
- Burnin’ Both Ends of the Bar (Wade Bowen, Randy Montana)
- Honky Tonk Roll (Wade Bowen, Randy Montana)
- The Secret To This Town (Wade Bowen, Heather Morgan)
- If You Don’t Miss Me (Wade Bowen, Ray Fulcher)
- A Beautiful World featuring Lori McKenna (Wade Bowen, Lori McKenna)
- She’s Driving Me Crazy (Wade Bowen, Eric Paslay, Heather Morgan)
- Knowing Me Like I Do (Wade Bowen, Clint Ingersoll)
- It’s Gonna Hurt (Wade Bowen, Drew Kennedy)
- Say Goodbye (Wade Bowen, Eric Paslay, Heather Morgan)
- A Guitar, A Singer and A Song featuring Vince Gill (Wade Bowen, Lori McKenna)
- Somewhere Between The Secret and The Truth (Wade Bowen, Lori McKenna)