Wayne Hancock Involved in Major Motorcycle Accident – Updated


This story has been updated.

The King of Juke Joint Swing, Wayne “The Train” Hancock, was involved in a major motorcycle accident on Saturday, April 26th, and is recovering in a hospital Intensive Care Unit. The performer and songwriter suffered a collapsed lung and a fractured elbow in the accident, and fears of catching pneumonia from the compromised respiratory condition have doctors taking every precaution to make sure the singer pulls through.

Hancock is known as an avid motorcycle rider, and his last album Ride released through Bloodshot Records features a motorcycle on the front cover, with the title track about taking a ride on a two-wheeler. Reports say Wayne was wearing a helmet at the time. His arm is also in a soft cast, and he is expected to be transferred from the ICU to a regular room in a few days. On Tuesday, Wayne had a blood transfusion for the blood lost when draining his lung.

The accident has forced Hancock to have to cancel upcoming shows May 2 at Floores Country Store in Helotes, TX, and May 3 at the Aardvark in Ft. Worth, TX, as well as all other remaining shows in May. For the moment, shows in June starting with Suquamish in Washington State are still on, but may be subject to change, depending on Wayne’s condition.

“His spirits are high and wishes he could be with Y’all,” was posted on Wayne’s Facebook page. “But things are out of his hands at the moment and must do as the Doctors tell him so as to make sure he CAN return to Y’all. He sends his Love and Regrets and asks for Prayers and Good Thoughts…”

The Train will roll on!

Cards and Letters can be sent to:
4937 Stuart Rd. #181
Denton, TX 76207

****UPDATES *****UPDATES****

Please help him offset growing medical expenses and the additional financial woes of canceling two months of tour dates, by donating on PayPal to  [email protected]

UPDATE (5-2-14): Yesterday (5-1) Wayne had surgery to help fix his fallen lung. They were able to remove Wayne’s ventilator and he is now breathing on his own. He continues to remain in the ICU unit and will into next week. But they hope to transfer him to a private room soon. “Wayne’s awake, Smilin’ and very alert singin’ to himself,” a post on his Facebook page said “…think he’s trying to make sure the pipes are still workin'”

Incidentally, yesterday was also Wayne’s birthday.

– – – – – – – – – –

**All photos courtesy of Wayne Hancock’s Facebook page



© 2024 Saving Country Music