In the continuing effort to keep you abreast of some of the best music coming out in the true and independent country realm, some new selections have just been added to Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Spotify Playlist—a barometer (hopefully) of the best songs, albums, and artists to check out that the mainstream is not feeding you.
You may have never heard of Hayley Thompson-King, but you should be listening to her new throwback song “Large Hall, Slow Decay” that was just released to wet your whistle for her upcoming record due out September 1st, Psychotic Melancholia. The song puts her new record up for one of the most anticipated for late summer.
Parker McCollum is one of the more revered up-and-country songwriters in the Texas scene, and he’s just released a brand new 4-song EP called Probably Wrong: Session One. EP’s often get overlooked, but this is one that should be on everyone’s radar. The only problem was trying to determine which song from the EP to include here. Eventually “I Can’t Breathe” was selected, but go ahead and give the whole damn thing a spin. It’s a great example of how to keep country rootsy, but still give a contemporary, fresh feel.
The Sons of the Palomino hit on all cylinders with the song “Independent Trucker” from their recent self-titled release, and so we’d be remiss to not include it here. And under the philosophy of highlighting when the mainstream actually does something right, one of the latest songs from Joe Nichols called “I’d Sing About You” from his upcoming album Never Gets Old has been added.
If you don’t do the Spotify thing, you can always find a list of the songs, albums, and artists below to venture further in discovering some new music via SCM’s top current recommendations.
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist
- “Large Hall, Slow Decay” – Haley Thompson-King – Psychotic Melancholia (out 9/1)
- “Way Down in My Soul” – Zephaniah Ohora – This Highway
- “Independent Trucker” – The Sons of the Palomino – Sons of the Palomino
- “Slow Down Easy” – John Moreland – Big Bad Luv
- “16-10” – Joseph Huber – The Suffering Stage
- “Say It To Me” – Sam Outlaw – Tenderheart
- “Lint Head Gal” – Phoebe Hunt – Shanti’s Shadow
- “If We Were Vampires” – Jason Isbell – The Nashville Sound
- “I Can’t Breathe” – Parker McCollum – Probably Wrong: Session One EP
- “Texas Jesus” – Robyn Ludwick – This Tall to Ride
- “Cairo, IL” – The Brother Brothers – Tugboats – EP
- “Air Mail Special” – Marty Stuart – Way Out West
- “Time To Give” – Sera Cahoone – From Where I Started
- “Giving Back The Best of Me” – Jaime Wyatt – Felony Blues
- “Bang Bang” – Sarah Jane Scouten – When The Bloom Falls From The Rose
- “Tears Don’t Stain” – The Country Side of Harmonica Sam – A Drink After Midnight
- “I’d Sing About You” – Joe Nichols – Never Gets Old
- “Old Stone Church” – John Baumann – Proving Grounds
- “Country Music Only” – Larry Peninsula – Country Music Only
- “Kate McCannon” – Colter Wall – Colter Wall
- “Keep The Home Fires Burnin’” – Sarah Shook & The Disarmers – Sidelong
- “Whitehouse Road” – Tyler Childers – Purgatory
- “Fleshy Hands” – Skunk Ruckus – Pearls Before Swine
- “Bottom of a Bottle” – Kayla Luky – Back to Dirt
- “Broken Halos” – Chris Stapleton – From A Room: Vol. 1