Finally we get some forward movement on one of the most anticipated mainstream traditional albums in a good while. Curb Records-signed singer and songwriter Mo Pitney will release his debut album Behind This Guitar on October 7th, featuring 10 of 12 co-written songs by Pitney himself, and contributions from folks we though the rest of Nashville had forgotten like Bill Anderson, Dean Dillon, Don Sampson, and David Lee Murphy.
Many of the songs on Behind This Guitar have been heard before as either singles, or in an acoustic setting, like “Country,” “I Met Merle Haggard Today,” and his current single “Girl & A Boy Thing.” Pitney has been performing on the Grand Ole Opry, shows like Larry’s Country Diner, and other live settings for years. But like many Curb-signed artists, fans have needed to be patient for a proper album release.
The release comes as more traditional-leaning mainstream country artists are starting to find greater traction after the Bro-Country era, including Jon Pardi whose recent release California Sunrise debuted at #1, while his current single “Head Over Boots” is close to cracking the Top 5. William Michael Morgan has also found some surprising success recently. Mo Pitney’s singles have struggled on radio so far, but as a more traditional artist, like Chris Stapleton and others, album sales will likely be where Pitney finds his strength.
“I can’t wait for you to hear the music that we’ve poured our hearts into over the last year,” says Pitney. “You heard it first…”
Behind This Guitar Track List:
1. “Country” (Mo Pitney, Bobby Tomberlin, Bill Anderson)
2. “Clean Up On Aisle Five” (Mo Pitney, Wil Nance)
3. “Come Do A Little Life” (Mo Pitney, Wil Nance, Byron Hill)
4. “It’s Just A Dog” (Mo Pitney, Jimmy Melton, Dave Turnbull)
5. “Everywhere” (Mo Pitney, Dean Dillon, Phil O’Donnell)
6. “Boy & A Girl Thing” (Mo Pitney, Don Sampson)
7. “I Met Merle Haggard Today” (Mo Pitney, Don Sampson)
8. “Take The Chance” (Mo Pitney, Dean Dillon)
9. “When I’m With You” (Mo Pitney, David Lee Murphy)
10. “Love Her Like I Lost Her” (Mo Pitney, Dennis Duff)
11. “Behind This Guitar” (Phil O’Donnell, Casey Beathard, Don Sampson)
12. “Give Me Jesus” (Fernando Ortega)