Of course every song on this playlist is country, or at least country-ish. But many of the new songs added this week turn the twang up to 10, which is a good thing because it helps confirm that country is back in country music.
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist is built to keep you informed on all the best songs and albums coming out right here, right now in country and roots music. It’s available on most all streaming formats (see below), or you can just use the song, artist, and album recommendations to find something new to listen to. New songs just added.
Robbie Fulks – “One Glass of Whiskey” – Robbie Fulks made a bluegrass record? Robbie Fulks made a bluegrass record! Out now on Compass Records, Bluegrass Vacation is the bluegrass record from Robbie Fulks you’ve been waiting for, and “One Glass of Whiskey” leads it off perfectly.
Jake Worthington – “The State You Left Me In” – Jake Worthington was a runner-up on The Voice some nine years ago, but he’s waited until now to release a debut album, right as his staunch traditional country sound is coming back into fashion. This is hardcore Mark Chesnutt-style country music made the way it’s supposed to be.
Josie Toney – “Nobody’s Gonna Cry For Me” – You may have seen her playing fiddle for Sierra Ferrell, but Josie Toney proves on her new album Extra that she deserves a spotlight all to herself. She brings her strong voice to country blues songs indicative of the heartbreak of Hank One.
Katie Jo, Elijah Ocean – “Tequila & Forgiveness” – Katie Jo kicked ass on her 2021 album Pawn Shop Queen. The title track and her smoky voice is still stuck in my head. Now she’s joined up with the prolific Elijah Ocean for this single about resolving conflict over some agave water underpinned by desert guitar.
Chancey Williams – “One Of These Days” – Chancey Williams is what mainstream country would sounds like if we could wave a magic wand and remake it in our own image. He brings his strong Western influences from Wyoming to songs that have that 90s country goodness. The title track from Chancey’s new album also proves he’s no slouch as a songwriter either.
Scott Stepakoff – “162” – A wild card on the playlist from a veteran behind-the-scenes songwriter, it’s the writing of “162” that has it screaming for some big traditional country star to record it and make it their own. Scott Stepakoff is happily married, but he wrote this song about one of his co-writers Mike Shimshack.
Nathan Seeckts – “The Wildest Thing – Seeckts makes his second appearance on the playlist with this Heartland rocker with twangy guitar about that wild woman we all met once and can’t get off our mind, or we wish that we did.
Lance Roark – “Hard Road to Hold” – One to watch from Oklahoma, Lance Roark has been co-writing songs with RC Edwards of the Turnpike Troubadours, and roped in Hank Early from the band to produce his new album Better Man. Full of great songs, “Hard Road to Hold” is set off by some hot steel and lead guitar.
– – – – – – – – – –
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist primarily lives on Spotify, but is also available for those who use Amazon Music, YouTube, Apple Music, and Tidal. For those who don’t stream music, you can still find the song recommendations in list form below.
CLICK HERE to follow Saving Country Music on Spotify, and/or follow the Spotify Top 25 Playlist.
Please Note: The songs on this playlist are curated for listening pleasure and flow. Otherwise, they are not in any specific order.
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist:
- “Sleep When The Party’s Over” – Malpass Brothers – Lonely Street (5-12)
- “Wildwood Baby” – Gloria Anderson – Households EP
- “Easier and Harder” – William Prince – Stand In The Joy (4-21)
- “State You Left Me In” – Jake Worthington – Self-Titled
- “One Glass of Whiskey” – Robbie Fulks – Bluegrass Vacation
- “Yesterday’s Burn” – The War and Treaty – Lover’s Game
- “Moonshine Run” – Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley – Living In A Song
- “Tequila & Forgiveness – Katie Jo, Elijah Ocean – (single)
- “Nobody’s Gonna Cry For Me” – Josie Toney – Extra
- “Hard Road to Hold” – Lance Roark – Better Man
- “If You Don’t Wanna Love Me” – Brit Taylor – Kentucky Blue
- “Forever’s Not As Long As It Used To Be” – Shefton Kash – (single)
- “Old Montana” – Sam Munsick – Johnny Faraway
- “Moving Mountains” – Amanda Fields w/ Megan McCormick – What, When, and Without
- “The Wildest Thing” – Nathan Seeckts – (single)
- “Western White Pines” – Colby Acuff – (single)
- “.38 Special” – Rattlesnake Milk – Chicken Fried Snake
- “For Your Love” – Michael Cleveland with Billy Strings – Lovin’ Of The Game
- “Above My Head” – Drayton Farley – Twenty on High
- “Going Back” – Zara Alexandra – Osage Oranges Coming Down
- “You Drive Back” – Aaron McDonnell – (single)
- “Rosemary” – SJ McDonald – (single)
- “162” – Scott Stepakoff – (single)
- “Red Dirt Girl” – Sunny Sweeney, Jamie Lin Wilson, Emmylou Harris – (single)
- “Moved Into A Bottle” – The Broken Spokes – (single)
- “Bad Imagination” – Sundy Best – Feel Good Country