The release of the Rodeo Houston main stage lineup is always a highly-anticipated event in Texas and beyond, and this year Oklahoma’s Turnpike Troubadours have earned an opportunity to play on arguably the biggest stage in Texas, and native Texan Kacey Musgraves has been selected to open the rodeo in 2019. It’s the first time performing at the event for both acts, and they’ll be playing a lineup that includes massive pop “country” names like Luke Bryan and Kane Brown, legacy artists like George Strait and Brooks & Dunn, and names from the pop world like Camila Cabello and Cardi B, all of whom will take center stage at NRG Stadium from late February into mid March.
The release of 2019’s Rodeo Houston lineup came with a stutter step. The lineup was first leaked about a week ago online, with the Rodeo playing coy as to whether the lineup spread on social media was legit or not. They officially announced the 2019 lineup on Thursday (1-3) evening, confirming Musgraves will open February 25th, and the Turnpike Troubadours will play on Saturday, March 2nd. Turnpike earning a weekend slot is even more advantageous for the band.
Along with one of the few 2019 appearances from “King” George Strait, and the aforementioned Brooks & Dunn performance, also notable from the 2019 Houston Rodeo lineup is Chris Stapleton playing March 14th, Cody Johnson playing the stage once again on March 15th, Brad Paisley playing March 16th, and Luke Combs will get his shot on March 6th. Also during the final performance of the season by George Strait on March 17th, Robert Earl Keen and Lyle Lovett will be his special guests.
Once again the Rodeo Houston lineup favors big national names as opposed to putting more emphasis on Texas and regional acts that would do better to represent the distinct musical flavor of the Lone Star State. But with the Turnpike Troubadours playing as honorary Texans, Cody Johnson on the bill from nearby Huntsville, George Strait, Robert Earl Keen, and Lyle Lovett ending the year, and Texas native Kacey Musgraves starting the year off, it’s a step in the right direction for 2019.
Houston Rodeo 2019 Lineup:
- Monday, February 25 – Kacey Musgraves
- Tuesday, February 26 – Prince Royce
- Wednesday, February 27 – Brooks & Dunn
- Thursday, February 28 – Luke Bryan
- Friday, March 1 – Cardi B – Black Heritage Day
- Saturday, March 2nd – Turnpike Troubadours
- Sunday, March 3rd – Panic! at the Disco
- Monday, March 4 – Old Dominion
- Tuesday, March 5 – Camila Cabello
- Wednesday, March 6 – Luke Combs
- Thursday, March 7 – Tim McGraw
- Friday, March 8 – Zedd
- Saturday, March 9 – Kane Brown
- Sunday, March 10 – Los Tigres Del Notre – Go Tejano Day
- Monday, March 11 – Zac Brown Band
- Tuesday, March 12 – Kings of Leon
- Wednesday, March 13 – Santana
- Thursday, March 14 – Chris Stapleton
- Friday, March 15 – Cody Johnson
- Saturday, March 16 – Brad Paisley
- Sunday, March 17 – George Strait w/ Lyle Lovett & Robert Earl Keen