For the last two summers, The Paramount Network’s Western series Yellowstone starring Kevin Costner has become the hottest show on television, pulling in huge ratings, and finding favor with critics. It’s also become a big bonanza for many independent country and roots artists, not just from the royalties for the music being featured, but from drawing in new fans to the artists as viewers of the show are exposed to music they otherwise may never be.
The Season 3 debut of Yellowstone on Sunday, June 21st was no different, featuring music like “Mama Song” by Cody Jinks, “Good Corn Liquor” by The SteelDrivers, “Cigarette” by Honey County, and “Caroline” by Colter Wall to end the show. Kevin Costner’s own band Modern West also made an appearance.
The benefit of an appearance on Yellowstone for a band is not just hypothetical. When Whiskey Myers not only had some songs featured during Season 1, but also made a personal appearance during a scene itself, it shot up their sales, and is given credit for one of the reasons why the band is on the rise, including recently hitting #1 on the charts with their latest self-titled album. Blackberry Smoke saw eight songs placed through Season 2 of the series.
Other artists featured on the series so far include Tyler Childers, Jason Isbell, Whitey Morgan and the 78’s, The Trishas, Kacey Musgraves, The Steel Woods, Turnpike Troubadours, and many more. Americana artist Ryan Bingham also plays a recurring role in the series as a ranch hand named Walker who also sings and plays guitar upon occasion.
Yellowstone centers around the famous American National Park and the conflicts that arise between the shared borders of a large cattle ranch, an Indian reservation, land developers, and the park itself. It was created by Taylor Sheridan who is originally from Texas, and made a name developing Sons of Anarchy, as well as the movie Hell or High Water, both of which featured lots of independent and classic country music as well. Sheridan is given credit for revitalizing the modern Western.
You can see some of the songs featured in Season 1 of Yellowstone here, and all of the songs in Season 2 of Yellowstone here, and we’ll keep a running tab of the songs featured in Season 3 as the series unfolds below.
Episode 1- You’re The Indian Now – 6/21/2020
- Kevin Costner & Modern West – “Dark Thoughts Ride” (scene with Beth and Kayce)
- Cody Jinks – “Mama Song” (At the new barn)
- Honey Country – “Cigarette” (At the liquor store)
- Colter Wall (feat. Belle Plaine) – “Caroline” (By the campfire)
Episode 2 – Freight Trains and Monsters – 6/28/2020
- Blackberry Smoke – “Sleeping Dogs” (Dancing at the ranch)
- The Cadillac Three- “Party Like You” (Horse thieves at the trailer)
- Lady May – “Tyler Childers” (At Yellowstone Rance)
- Zach Bryan – “Condemned” (Ending scene)
Episode 3 – An Acceptable Surrender – 7/5/2020
- Brian Tyler- “Until Tomorrow” (Opening scene)
- Casey Donahew Band – “What Cowboys Do” (at the rodeo arena)
- Whitey Morgan & the 78’s – “Where Do Ya Want It?” (at the rodeo arena)
- Red Shahan – “Revolution” (at the rodeo arena)
- Turnpike Troubadours – “The Mercury” (at the rodeo arena)
- Jon Pardi – “Me and Jack” (at the rodeo arena)
- Whiskey Myers – “Gasoline” (at the rodeo arena)
- Esterly, Kendell Marvell – “Mine” (at the rodeo arena)