- Go Behind The Scenes In The Childhood Home Where Johnny Cash Grew Up
- Watch a Willie Nelson Card Trick
- Billy Joe Shaver shines during 75th birthday party at the Satellite
- Why Me Lord? American Recordings By Johnny Cash Revisited
- Hall of Fame Inductee Mac Wiseman Shines on "Songs From My Mother's Hand"
- American Songwriter's Writer of the Week is Angaleena Presley
- 19 Must See Classic Clips From The Johnny Cash Show
- Roanoke.com Interviews Jason Isbell
- Song Premiere: Mike Auldridge, Jerry Douglas and Rob Ickes Together
- Brad Paisley leads team to launch My Country Nation
- Billy Joe Shaver, The Misunderstood Outlaw Who Shoots Bullies in the Face
- Otis Gibbs Releases New Album "Souvenirs of a Misspent Youth"
- Paul Thorn Releases New Album "Too Blessed to Be Stressed"
- Cahalen Morrison Releases New Album "The Flower of Muscle Shoals"
- Austin Lucas, Jayke Orvis, and More to Tour Together
- Trisha Yearwood Signs With Sony, Announces New Album
- First Garth Brooks Single is Now Said to be "People Loving People"
- This GIF shows 30 years of music industry change
- Listen to Never Before Heard Woody Guthrie Song 'Man's a Fool'
- Review on New Cory Brana Album by Pop Matters
- Why Honda's 50 Million Dollar Play for Music Content Isn't Working
***UPDATE*** (12-4-13 1:35 AM CST): After posting this rant at roughly 9 PM on 12/3, the Eric Church video was made “private” on YouTube at roughly 11:45 PM on 12/3. If the video was pulled and stays pulled, Saving Country Music commends Eric Church and/or his management/marketing team for making the right decision about this video. ***UPDATE***
***UPDATE*** (12-4-13 4:50 PM CST): The Eric Church camp has posted another video saying in part “Eric adores Taylor, for who she is and what she’s done.”
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
In the latest installment in a series of cryptic teaser videos Eric Church has released ahead of his new album The Outsiders, Church culls footage from the recent CMA Awards, and specifically Taylor Swift’s speech accepting the Pinnacle Award in a creepy, if not downright disturbing video full of obtuse connotations and veiled threats. During her speech, Taylor Swift referenced her big break in country music that came in 2006 when Eric Church was booted off a tour with Rascal Flatts because he was playing too loud, and too long, after being repeatedly warned by concert promoters to follow the rules he signed on to when he was selected for the tour. Church was replaced by Taylor Swift.
Apparently this is either still a sore spot for Church, or simply a marketing angle for his on again/off again country music “Outlaw” image. But either way, it is the theme for the 70-second video called “One Will Rise, One Will Fall” released today.
I’ll tell you folks, and I know people are going to say that I am way over-reacting or being way too sensitive, but I think this video is despicable, sickening, and downright dangerous. I think it should be pulled from YouTube by the Eric Church camp, an apology should be issued, and if I had the arrogance to believe that I had any such power or authority to do so, I would outright demand that this video be pulled from public consumption.
I don’t give a shit what Eric Church, or anybody else thinks about Taylor Swift’s music. This isn’t about music at all. Take music out of the picture, and Taylor Swift is a 23-year-old girl who has hundreds, if not thousands of people in this celebrity-obsessed and morally-corrupt world who would wish to do all manner of harm and evil things to her; people who happen to live the same shadowy, disturbed lives that come eerily similar to the scene Eric Church portrays in this stupid ass teaser.
If you think I’m taking this too seriously, try telling that to the fans and family of Selena, Dimebag Darrell, and John Lennon. As s a society we have an imperative to protect individuals from these types of threats and images: Bulletin boards and cluttered desks with psychopathic, stalker-style tools and artifacts, and post-it notes with dark, belligerent plans peppered with threatening verbiage. Look at the title of the video, “One Will Rise, One Will Fall.” What exactly are you’re getting at here Eric Church? Because I don’t have to stretch my imagination very far to reach all manner of disturbing conclusions. Of course Eric’s threats won’t go any farther than releasing a stupid ass video, I’m no fool, but who’s to say one of his sycophantic toadies won’t? Besides, it’s the thought that counts. And what is this all for, to promote Eric Church’s shitty rock record?
Eric Church isn’t an “Outsider,” he’s a fucking conformist. He’s a marketeer with a marketing degree who has svengalied a bunch of disenfranchised country fans into believing he’s offering any type of alternative to pop country when in truth he is more of a tool of the mainstream pop country industrial complex than anyone. At least Taylor is who she is—a glittery pop star who doesn’t try to veil her marketing to the masses as anything else. “Outsiders” don’t win Album of the Year from both the CMA and ACM Awards. “Outsiders” don’t get invited to play primetime, industry events. “Outsiders” don’t score #1 songs on mainstream pop country radio. And “Outsiders” don’t piss off Rascal Flatts for playing too long, they don’t play in front of Rascal Flatts, period.
Oh poor, downtrodden Eric Church, his last album only sold 1 1/2 million copies. Now it’s time to hatch a plan to take down the superstar of the genre for revenge. What the fuck is wrong with this guy? The country music industry should kick him to the curb and spit on his album. Let Metallica drag his overplaying ass around US. I’m sick of it. I’m sick of Eric Church’s bullshit drama and acting like the world owes him. Talent or not, country music doesn’t need this asshole any longer.
Pull the video Eric.
- – - – - – - – - – - -
Leave you comment about how I’m overreacting below. And find the stupid video yourself.
214 Comments to “Eric Church Targets Taylor Swift in Outsiders Teaser (An Uber Rant)”
Leave a comment
Support SCM and start
your Amazon shopping here
- bobsled on 10 Country Songs Criticizing The Police State
- Acca Dacca on Taylor Swift Leaving Country: The Deeper Impact
- marc on Brantley Gilbert’s “Bottoms Up” (A Rant)
- Six String Richie on More Trouble At Jason Aldean & Luke Bryan Concerts
- Derek on Taylor Swift Leaving Country: The Deeper Impact