As we head into the Memorial Day weekend when many will be letting loose, taking it easy, and remembering our fallen heroes, what better time to juice up the Top 25 playlist, especially with the round of great new songs that have just come down the pike.
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist is built to keep you informed on all the best songs and albums coming out right here, right now in country and roots music. It’s available on most all streaming formats (see below), or you can just use the song, artist, and album recommendations to find something new to listen to.
Brock Gonyea – “My World Turns To Silver” – Just give a spin to Brock’s new EP Where My Heart Is and you’ll be hooked. It’s only a small portion size so far, but it sounds like we’ve discovered the next new artist who can hearken back to the 50’s in country and sound like he’s from the era instead of just trying to emulate it.
Cole Chaney – “Ill Will Creek” – Cole Chaney’s new album Mercy has many people already praising it as being one of the best all year, and we haven’t even reached the heat of the summer yet. If you’re into those Kentucky songwriters and Tyler Childers-style coal music, make sure this guy is on your radar.
Jesse Daniel – “Think I’ll Stay” – One of the fastest-rising names in traditional country music over the last few years has been small town California-native turned Texas transplant Jesse Daniel. Now in a quick turnaround time from his highly-regarded album Rollin’ On from 2020, he’s ready to release another long player called Beyond These Walls on July 30th, dropping “Think I’ll Stay” to tide us over until the release.
Connie Smith – “Look Out Heart” – Country Music Hall of Famer and Grand Ole Opry member Connie Smith is getting ready to release her first new record in a decade, and one thing is for sure, it’ll be country. Called The Cry of the Heart, once again her husband Marty Stuart will be the producer, and you can hear that signature Stuart guitar sound on the album’s first single, “Look Out Heart.”
Blackberry Smoke w/ Jamey Johnson – “Lonesome for a Livin'” – Well, apparently we won’t be getting a new album from Jamey Johnson any time soon (it’s a long story), but we get the next best thing in this guesting on the new Blackberry Smoke album You Hear Georgia. One of the most country songs of the lot, songs like this are the reason folks wish for new music from Jamey.
Allison Russell – “Persephone” – Allison Russell’s Outside Child will be talked about the rest of the year as one of the greatest albums in Americana, and though some or much of the album may be a little too “Americana” for many country fans, the steel guitar and story makes “Persephone” something whose appeal is wide ranging.
Alan Jackson – “Way Down in My Whiskey” – There are a lot of good selections from the 21 songs Alan Jackson recently delivered on his new album Where Have You Gone, but “Way Down in My Whiskey” feels like one of those we’ll be listening to again and again, and for years to come, like all those great Alan Jackson songs.
– – – – – – – – – –
The Saving Country Music Top 25 Playlist primarily lives on Spotify, but is also available for those who use Amazon Music, YouTube, Apple Music, and Tidal. For those who don’t stream music, you can still find the song recommendations in list form below.
CLICK HERE to follow Saving Country Music on Spotify, and/or follow the Spotify Top 25 Playlist.
Please Note: The songs on this playlist are curated for listening pleasure and flow. Otherwise, they are not in any specific order.
Saving Country Music’s Top 25 Current Playlist:
- “Soul Train” – Charlie Marie – Ramble On
- “Think I’ll Stay” – Jesse Daniel – Beyond These Walls (7-30)
- “My World Turns to Silver” – Brock Gonyea – Where My Heart Is
- “You’re Luck She’s Lonely” – Summer Dean w/ Colter Wall – Bad Romantic (8-27)
- “Every Night I Burn Another Honky Tonk Down” – Dallas Moore – The Rain
- “Look Out Heart” – Connie Smith – The Cry of the Heart (8-20)
- “Queen of My Double Wide Trailer” – American Aquarium – Slappers, Bangers, and Certified Twangers
- “Here Come The Blues” – The Shootouts – Bullseye
- “Love You More” – Dag Erik Oksvold – (single)
- “Cold Cold Night” – Triston Marez – Self-Titled
- “Arkansas Hills” – Melissa Carper – Daddy’s Country Gold
- “Just Don’t” – Shelby Lee Lowe – (single)
- “Lonesome for a Livin’” – Blackberry Smoke w/ Jamey Johnson – You Hear Georgia
- “Faustina” – John R. Miller – Depreciated (7-16)
- “Ill Will Creek” – Cole Chaney – Mercy
- “Pawn Shop Queen” – Katie Jo – Pawn Shop Queen
- “Midnight Run” – Charley Crockett – 10 For Slim: Charley Crockett Sings James Hand
- “One Life Stand” – Lauren Mascitti – (single)
- “Drinkin’ Lots of Wine” – Cory Grinder and the Playboy Scouts – Honky Tonkin’ Beauty Supreme (6-11)
- “Way Down in My Whiskey” – Alan Jackson – Where Have You Gone
- “Only If It’s With You” – Michael Monroe Goodman – (single)
- “Things A Man Oughta Know” – Lainey Wilson – Sayin’ What I’m Thinkin’
- “That Train” – Mac Leaphart – Music City Joke
- “Persephone” – Allison Russell – Outside Child
- “Am I Right or Amarillo” – Jack Ingram, Miranda Lambert, Jon Randall – The Marfa Tapes
- “Run On Ahead” – The Steel Woods – All of Your Stones