Ashley Monroe’s much-anticipated new album Sparrow will be arriving on April 20th via Warner Bros. Nashville. Produced by Dave Cobb and recorded in Nashville’s historic Studio ‘A’, the record is said to take a very Countrypolitan approach to the music, with lush string arrangements and other accoutrements to give it a more classic sound. This would be very appropriate for the Studio ‘A’ venue, which compared to other studio spaces is a cavernous room that was specifically built to facilitate the recording of orchestral arrangements during the original Countrypolitan era of the 60’s.
That style is not exactly indicated in the album’s lead single, “Hands On You,” which is much more similar to the throwback R&B, Muscle Shoals sound Dave Cobb has evoked with artists such as Anderson East, Brent Cobb, and others. Inspired by a trip Monroe took with some girlfriends where she was banished to a hotel room due to illness, the song is very much centered around sensuality.
Ashley Monroe is an artist often harped about by critics and close fans, but who regularly gets overlooked by country radio and awards despite a great record of quality output.
“Hands On You” was co-written with Jon Randall, who is one of multiple recognizable songwriting contributors just revealed with the full track list for Sparrow. Though Monroe co-writes every song on on the record, she gets a helping hand from some hot names in the songwriting world such as Waylon Payne, who shows up with four co-writes. Payne also received a sizable amount of songwriting credits on the latest album with fellow Pistol Annies member Miranda Lambert. Speaking of the Pistol Annies, Angaleena Presley receives a co-write on the new record as well. As does Anderson East, and revered Texas music songwriter Ryan Beaver, along with a host of others.
Track List for Ashley Monroe’s Sparrow:
1. “Orphan” (Monroe, Gordie Sampson, Paul Moak)
2. “Hard On A Heart” (Monroe, Moak, Blu Sanders)
3. “Hands On You” (Monroe, Jon Randall)
4. “Mother’s Daughter” (Monroe, Brendan Benson, Ryan Beaver)
5. “Rita” (Monroe, Moak, Nicole Galyon)
6. “Wild Love” (Monroe, Benson, Waylon Payne)
7. “This Heaven” (Monroe, Aaron Raitiere, Anderson East)
8. “I’m Trying To” (Monroe, Randall, Kassi Ashton)
9. “She Wakes Me Up” (Monroe, Payne, Moak)
10. “Paying Attention” (Monroe, Payne, Benson)
11. “Daddy I Told You” (Monroe, Angaleena Presley, Josh O’Keefe)
12. “Keys To The Kingdom” (Monroe, Payne)