For now the second time in a row and in as many years, Melissa Carper and her cohorts have crafted an exquisite work of audio goodness that mesmerizes with its wayback sound and style, stealing you to a simpler era in music when everything made more sense, and the foundations of music were set.
The Time Jumpers
An important subset of the country/roots revolution we’re currently enjoying is women who are fearlessly hearkening back to the very earliest times of American music before it was all corrupted by fads and financial incentives. This is where Sierra Ferrell has found fertile ground, and so has Melissa Carper.
Andrija Tokic, Billy Contreras, Brennen Leigh, Chris Scruggs, Dennis Crouch, Gina Gallina, Melissa Carper, Odetta, Ramblin Soul, Sad Daddy, Sierra Ferrell, The Carper Family, The Time Jumpers, Wes Langlois
Susan Lucci is the name people love to cite when it comes to someone who’s accrued a long string of nominations for a certain award without ever actually winning it. But legendary country music steel guitarist Paul Franklin actually has Susan Lucci beat, and by more than a decade.
Alan Jackson, Barbara Mandrell, Clint Black, Derek Wells, Dire Straits, George Strait, Ilya Toshinskiy, Jenee Fleenor, Jerry Reed, Kane Brown, Kathy Mattea, Lauren Alaina, Lee Ann Womack, Luke Bryan, Mac McAnally, Mark O'Connor, Megadeth, Mel Tillis, Patty Loveless, Paul Franklin, Pedabro, Peter Frampton, Randy Travis, Reba McEntire, Susan Lucci, The Time Jumpers, Toni Braxton, Vince Gill
90’s country is one of the hottest things right now as most anyone with a semblance of country taste is tired of hearing trap beats and tractor rapping in today’s country singles, and is looking for something that actually sounds country. What a concept, huh? So what better of a time for the 90’s country […]
One of the most curious, and maybe one of the most cool developments in music over the last couple of years has been Vince Gill becoming a late career member of The Eagles. It wasn’t a development that came with a lot of fanfare or explanation. With the passing of Glenn Frey in 2016, it just sort of happened.
It was one of the coolest things in country music while it lasted. But one of the cool things about The Time Jumpers is nothing lasts forever aside from the band itself. Nashville’s Western Swing house band has been entertaining crowds with interchangeable players and keeping traditions alive since 1998.
3rd and Lindsley, Andy Reiss, Asleep at the Wheel, Brad Albin, Jeff Taylor, Joe Spivey, Kenny Sears, Larry Franklin, Miranda Lambert, Paul Franklin, The Time Jumpers, Vince Gill, Wendy Moten, Willie Nelson, “Ranger Doug” Green
When you’re putting your list together of country traditionalists and purists popping through in the mainstream, make sure you don’t forget to include Mo Pitney. When he released his debut album Behind This Guitar in 2016 and even before, he had people singing his praises for his songwriting that reminded you of simpler times.
Ahead of the telecast portion of the 59th Annual Grammy Awards Sunday night (2-12), pre-telecast awards were handed out in a host of categories covering country, Americana, bluegrass, and roots, including big awards like Best Country Song, Best Country Album, and Best Americana Album. Sturgill Simpson won Best Country Album.
On Tuesday morning (12-6) the nominees for the 2017 Grammy Awards were announced, and Sturgill Simpson’s ‘A Sailors Guide to Earth’ is right up there with Adele, Beyonce, Drake, and Justin Bieber competing for the Album of the Year. And he just might win it. The album is also up for Best Country Album
If you’re looking for more Willie Nelson and Ray Price in your life, you can knock out two birds with one stone, and get a heaping helping of The Time Jumpers at the same time on a new tribute album on the way. For The Good Times: A Tribute To Ray Price is set for release via Legacy Recordings on September 16th.
Rich Vanaugh played drums for Kitty Wells and Charlie Louvin, Jeannie Seely and Jack Greene, and Mel Tillis and Dottie West over his long career, but he will forever be known as one of the backbones of one of the most beloved bands in Nashville, the Western swing-inspired supergroup The Time Jumpers, and one of the friendliest musicians you would ever meet.
Vince Gill is the perfect model of how a country artist should age. Forget trying to run with the young crowd, or continuing to try and tap into whatever made you famous in the past. An artist like Vince Gill has accrued all the personal wealth he and his family will ever need. He’s as decorated with awards as any living country music artist, including a Hall of Fame induction.
The long wait for a new Vince Gill solo record is about to be over. Announced Thursday morning (11-19), Vince Gill will release his twentieth official album over his 30-plus year career, and last solo album since 2011. Down To My Last Bad Habit will arrive in stores on on February 12th, and ahead of the new record, Vince has released a new single called “Take Me Down”
Joe Nichols is fed up with all of the country music that doesn’t sound country and says the same things over and over dammit, and he’s aiming to do something about it. You know . . . like release a song that references the same things all the others songs he’s complaining about do.
“The surgery has a 95% chance it will fix it. It’s pretty heavy duty though. By the third month they gave me the heart-sinking words that I’d officially lost my hearing in my left ear. So I was one of the 5% that lose their hearing as a result of the surgery. I wanted to throw all of my guitars away. It was the most depressing time.”
Astounding and acclaimed country music vocalist Dawn Sears, known for being one of the members of the Western Swing outfit The Time Jumpers, a frequent collaborator and backup singer for fellow Time Jumper Vince Gill, and a noted solo artist releasing multiple albums on her own, died of lung Cancer on Thursday, December 11th. She was 53-years-old.
Indio, California’s country version of the massive Coachella Festival bucks the trend of most corporate country music festivals by casting independent artists and legacy acts in their lineup right beside some of the biggest current names in the country music industry as well as major label up-and-comers. This is the environment that cultivates cross-pollination between independent artists and a wider fan base.
Daniel Romano, Della Mae, Gregg Allman, John Moreland, Kacey Musgraves, Lineup, Lydia Loveless, Merle Haggard, Nikki Lane, Parker Milsap, Stagecoach, Stagecoach Festival, Stagecoach lineup, Steve Earle, Sturgill Simpson, The Devil Makes Three, The Quebe Sisters, The Time Jumpers, Vince Gill
As sad as it is to turn on the radio and hear what country music has become, it is even more sad to zoom out in your mind to a broader perspective and understand that what we’re hearing in mainstream country now is what will define country music for a generation: laundry list songs perpetrated by pretty boy entertainers, pock marked by rap phrases and EDM elements.
Just in time to coincide with the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Bakersfield Sound exhibit, country music maestro Vince Gill, along with legend of the steel guitar Paul Franklin have released Bakersfield, a tribute to the Bakersfield Sound and it’s two biggest icons, Buck Owens and Merle Haggard. This ten song album swaps between Buck and Merle tunes and features some of their most notable songs.